- Safety: The better you are at handling your bike in a variety of terrain the safer you ride.
- Efficiency: Instead of fighting the trail, you work with the earth to save energy while gaining speed. An efficient rider can also ride longer, extending your range of exploration.
- Less Mechanicals: A smoother rider has better control of their bike, and will have to visit the bike shop less. Or the hospital
- Broadened Horizons: The better a rider you are, the more places you can ride confidently.
- More Fun: A smoother rider scares themself less, can think more about the surroundings instead of the bike and will have a solid skill base to improve upon for future skills.
- Racing: A mountainbiker and a road racer enter a mountain bike race. The roadie has all the numbers from training to prove they are much more fit and stronger than the woods rider. The mountainbiker wipes the earth with the roadie. Why? Practice... An efficient mountain biker has the advantage that a regular coaching program doesn't cover.
For the past few years I have coached and given skills lessons to friends and aquaintences. I now plan to bring the things I've learned in my past seven years as a professional cyclist to anyone who wants to progress in their riding.